Friday 2 December 2016

Winter Magic- A Vintage Journey, December 2016 Challenge

HI Everyone and Welcome
Hope you've all doing good and have had a great week. With Winter now upon us I hope you will be able to join us in our new Challenge over at A Vintage Journey which is just perfect for the season. Debs is our host this time and she has chosen
Winter Magic
'For us in the Northern Hemisphere December brings the start of Winter is so much more than that and so we ask , how would you interpret the magic of Winter? Snow, Icicles, colours of blue, silver and white, the festivities of Christmas, misty winter landscapes: show us what your magical focus is for this season .As always we ask that you follow our travelling instructions and that your project be created in a vintage, shabby, mixed media, art journaling,industrial or steampunk style .'
As always there will be one lucky winner who will receive our sponsors prize which this month is a £20 voucher to spend at Country View Crafts.
The Creative Guides will also choose 3 pinworthy winners who will not only win a pinworthy badge to display on their blog but will also be invited to join us as a Guest Designer for a future Challenge.

Snow always comes to mind when I think of 'Winter Magic' so I have a canvas to share with a snowy feel created with an arty, wintry spirit.
Having come across a 5x7 canvas I started painting earlier this year I decided to build on the grey wash I'd already laid down way back when by adding tones of blue, grey and white using Tim holtz distress paints ( broken china, tumbled glass, hickory smoke, picket fence) and gesso for the white. All applied very freestyle and with the finger , just going with the flow
continuing the process until it looked ok. I love how the paint and especially the gesso pick up the texture of the canvas.
Unfortunately that's the only process photo I have so I hope you will now enjoy a descriptive tour around the canvas
Detail was created using stamps (Tim Holtz snowflakes, Birch , Half tone, a script stamp) with Archival ink(cornflower, watering can,cobalt) and Tm Holtz layering stencils (Snowflakes,Dot fade) with Tim Holtz Grit paste and gesso .
The snow is a mix of both DecoArt Snowtex and Tim Holtz Grit paste . It was given a touch of sparkle using Tim Holtz distress glitter (rock candy) and in some lights it really does gently glisten. A spritz of perfect pearls also added a touch of shimmer.
With the crackle sneaking in on the photos so far its time for the focal feature . This was created using Seth Apters Drip drop die - multiple die cuts adhered together , painted in silver and crackled using DecoArt crackle paste,the cracks being highlighted with gilding wax .
This was adhered to a painted and lightly sparkled mdf pocket watch which provides an ideal base for the snow dusted Tim Holtz dimensional Silver star.
And a few snowed up embellishments helped finish off my arty spirited canvas
with a snowy feel

I hope I have offered some inspiration and that you will be able to join us in our 'Winter Magic' . If you haven't already be sure to pop by A Vintage Journey to view some of my fellow Creative Guides projects. There are some fabulous creations to be seen and lots of inspiration to be had. 
I really did enjoy being back in my 'happy' place doing what I love, for a design team that I feel so lucky and proud to be apart of.

I would like to enter this into the following challenges : 
The Craft Stamper TIMI December Challenge: Take a Theme: Snow and Ice  
Frilly and Funkie : Home for the Holidays 

 Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by today and big thanks too for always leaving me such lovely comments. 
Both are so very much appreciated.
Have a lovely weekend Everyone
Take care and keep on the happy side
Amanda
xxx

27 comments:

  1. The perfect colors to convey frosty cold Winter Magic. Love the colors and that dripping ice from the circle is so perfect. Lovely canvas. Hugs, S@ndy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never in life would have thought to use this die for a Christmas project, but paired with that beautiful star it is so very cool! What an amazing wintry design! Love this! Big hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your background Amanda, applied with your fingers gives lovely blending. Love the crackle and use of Seth's drip drop Die too. very creative and lovely added snow. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word, Amanda - this is absolutely amazing. The frosty textures and shimmering iciness is just fantastic, and I love how you've crackled the die-cut frame, icicles and all. Brilliant!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now did I leave that long comment or not? I'll be back later to check it got through...
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catching my breath with this incredible piece Amanda!!! It's so frosty and chilled you could store you fish fingers on it! LOL Truly, you've somehow captured the chill of Winter quite perfectly here - LOVE it xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness Amanda! what a study in frostiness this is! I can feel the icy cold coming off your marvelous background and that drippy die cut is just wonderful with all its crackle - a beautiful winter magic project!! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A totally fantastic canvas, expressing Winter Magic in just the perfect way!! Love what you did with the crackle, - the star inside that wonderful Seth A die, looks superb and really expresses the magic of the season, fantastic piece of art!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not sure I know how to describe how this makes me feel but I do love it when you get Seth Apter's dies out, you do the most extraordinary things with them and this is no exception Amanda - it is quite stunning in a frosty, wintry, beautiful way - I really don't have the words, other than to say it is exquisite my friend! So lovely to see you crafting again too! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowsers, this is one fantastic statement piece Amanda! Beautiful and so very frosty that it makes me want to put another cardi on! Genius use of that Seth die (again!!). Verrry cool (excuse the pun!). I hope that your shoulder is continuing to improve and that you can be back crafting as often as you would wish. Warmest wishes, Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope Seth has seen this one - what a glorious way to use this die - wonderful textures, beautifully designed. Way to go Amanda! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliantly designed and put together Amanda. I love how you added layer upon layer to the canvas to get those beautiful effects and continued with the snow to create the wintry feel to it. The crackled drip drop die cut is amazing and looks stunning with the star o it. Love this to bits xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely stunning Amanda! The background is amazing with all that frosty wintry detail. And then the embellishments ........... all come together in such a stunning way. Love it!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is FABULOUS! WOW! It really looks like it is frozen! I wish you would make a video to show us what you did. I love everything about this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amanda, that is fabulous! A gorgeous wintery background filled with so much interest and texture and then topped by that amazing crackled Seth Apter die surrounding the beautiful Dimensional Star. Such a gorgeous canvas, love it! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I can feel the winter chill from this amazing project Amanda, love it.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooo this is lush - my eyes nearly popped out on stalks lol
    Love it, big hugs from Poppy and me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous canvas! Love all the texture and the frosty blue tones! Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Home for the Holidays' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the way you've captured the unique color palette of winter in this gorgeous canvas. All the texture from the crackle and "frost" make me want to go curl up by the fire. It's wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Frilly and Funkie "Home for the Holidays" challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning wintry canvas. I love how you've used the crackle on the frame. Thank you for playing along with the Craft Stamper Challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is stunning thanks so much for playing along with the Craft Stamper Challenge Good Luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, Amanda, it looks like I haven't sent over any love on this beautiful canvas yet, so now looks like a good time not only to say how lovely this snowy canvas is ((I've seen it so many times all over blogland, including here-stalker!), but to congratulate you on being the winner at Craft Stamper! (Other places, too, I'm sure, but I'm just now getting to swing around!) Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Many congratulations on your win at Craft Stamper ! It's snowingly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my gosh! Congrats on your win at Craft Stamper! What an amazing project, which they were so smart to choose! Happy New Year! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on the Guest Designerspot and for stealing the house in the Take It Make It challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. a little birdie told me Seth Apter has posted this lovely creation on his blog, the alteredpage.blogspot.com - double congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and for leaving comments . Both are very much appreciated .